Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Some of what I've been up to

I thought I would post a couple of pics of my random projects at the Colorado Art Ranch. There's only a week left in the residency, and I have a lot to try to finish! Looks like I forgot to take a photo of the biggest piece I'm working on, so I'll save that for a surprise.

The majority of my time has been spent working on the 115 river rocks that I cast -- first grinding off the excess from the pour spout, then sanding, priming, and drilling holes for the wires. It's going to be a wall piece in the end, but I can't resist making use of my easy access to the beautiful Chalk Creek. Next week I'll be installing them in the river, the idea will be that they will hover above the river on wires. Then, once I have painted them all, I hope to display the photo and the painted rocks together at some point. Let's hope it works!


Here they are floating in the water at the Mt. Princeton Hot Springs -- I had hoped to take a bunch of photos, but the current was carrying them away, so I just got a few!



This is what 115 plastic rocks look like in a crate:



This is the location I have picked for installing the rocks in the river! Gorgeous, innit?




Here's my temporary studio space:



And some of the random projects I'm working on -- true to form, my short attention span has me working on several things at once, but you can only sand for so many hours in a row. All of the experimentation and exploration has been really great for me, I'll be raring to go and re-energized once I'm back in my studio again. There's more, but the upload is slow, so check back later.

Little felt sculptures:


Some collages / drawings -- many more have been added since this pic:


That's all for now, time to get back to work!

No comments: